Roy Silverstein has gradually & humbly become an institution in the San Diego music scene. It all started several years ago with The Habitat (which has more recently become Habitat House), a craftsman style home in Golden Hill where Silverstein lived, held live shows, and produced music for many folks. Señor Silverstein then went on to publish an e-book advising inspired music-heads on How to Run a Successful House Show Venue, while continuing to produce records for countless artists after moving to North Park.
Silverstein is currently in the process of building a recording studio from the ground up at his home in North Park, pulling out all the stops by enlisting the design services of Wes Lachot. We are very excited to listen to the next phase of this story unfold as Silverstein is armed with a proper production space by which to help bands up their game on record.
Without further adieu, here's a mix that Roy put together for us... a final Minstrel Fridays mixtape for 2011.
These are a mix of bands and songs that deserve some attention. Some I know personally, others I admire from afar. Some, I've even had the pleasure of working with. Some played in my livingroom. They all keep it real.
Illustration by: Joe Majalca & Kelly Merchant (friends of mine who make "adult" coloring books: link)
Roy Silverstein email@example.com
- The Shivers - Only In It For The $$$
- Jeremy Jay - In This Lonely Town
- Cass McCombs - Sacred Heart
- Broadcast - Tears in the Typing Pool
- P:ano - Noni Song
- The Finches - Natural History
- Key Losers - Limited Time
- The Delgados - The Light Before We Land
- Tahiti 80 - 1,000 Times
- Papercuts - Outside Looking In
- South China - Sun Sets on Washington Ave
- Sharon Van Etten - I Fold
- Paleo - The King James Fakebook
- The Love Letter Band - College Kids
- Mira Cook - Back in your Lovin' Arms
- Khonnor - Daylight and Delight
- Nire - The March
- The Clientele - The House Always Wins
- Low - Death of a Salesman