17 years ago a mixtape dramatically changed my life.
This angry looking girl who sat across from me in art class was always wearing knee-high red Doc Martens and changing her hair color. At the time I was a semi-clueless sophomore jock. One day we started rapping about music. She was like, “oh if you like so and so you should listen to this and that.” A week later, bam, she slaps a mixtape on me. 90% of the bands on the tape were totally new to me. It rocked. I listened to the tape relentlessly. Six months later I bought my own pair of giant Doc Martens.
The Dinosaur Jr. track #8 is a tribute to my long lost art class friend. It was on her original tape from 1991.
I hope you enjoy this odd mix of psych/indie/folk/rock. The only common denominator here is that when I hear any these tracks in my car, I turn the volume way up.
-Nate Urbanist Guide
- Hello – Mr Oizo
- Noam Chomsky Spring Break 2002 – Department Of Eagles
- Milk Skates – Black Moth Super Rainbow
- Ifa – The Benders & Tunji Oyelana
- Mary Susan – Blood On The Wall
- I’ll Believe in Anything (Album) – Wolf Parade
- Sleeper Hold – No Age
- The Wagon – Dinosaur Jr
- What I See – The Dirty Projectors
- Second Chance – Liam Finn
- Low Gravity – The Acorn
- Lay and Love – Bonnie “Prince” Billy
- Heartbeats – Jose Gonzalez
- The Wolves (Act 1 & 2) – Bon Iver
- Crap Kraft Dinner – Hot Chip