Few things have me whipping out my Visa faster than an airfare sale on Travelzoo, but ever since those little green pieces of paper called “dollars” all but disappeared from this American life, the only travel I’m doing these days is strictly imaginary.
This mix is the soundtrack to my post-recession world tour, starting with a trio of sexy Spanish-language singers. Next, it’s over to Europe for jazzy flamenco duo Bebo & Cigala and Parisian chanteuse Keren Ann, then South America, with the Brazilian Bia and two amazing Argentines: now-L.A.-based Juana Molina and composer Lalo Schifrin (better known as the genius behind the original Mission: Impossible theme).
Back to Eastern Europe we go, getting gypsified in the Balkans with Koçani Orkestar, followed by a pretty Russian folk song (from a mix CD given to me by my mom) and a great cut by Moscow-born Regina Spektor. Lily Allen and The Kinks represent for the UK, while Scandinavia shows up strong via Stockholm’s Ane Brun, Iceland’s Emiliana Torrini and Norway’s Susanna and the Magical Orchestra, whose haunting Joy Division cover kills me every time. We hit Canada (sort of) when Madeline Peyroux covers a stellar Leonard Cohen number (he’s from Montreal, btw), then we bring it home with a beautifully lonely little tune from the Synecdoche, N.Y. soundtrack by L.A.’s Jon Brion.
No passport required.
- Amiga – Si*Sé
- Nada Serio – Julieta Venegas
- La Confession – Lhasa De Sela
- Eu Sei Que Vou Te Amar – Bebo & Cigala
- La Forme Et Le Fond – Keren Ann
- Río Seco – Juana Molina
- Mariana – Bia
- Sanctuary – Lalo Schifrin
- La Llorona – Kočani Orkestar
- Kak Prekrasen Etot Mir – ?
- Fidelity – Regina Spektor
- LDN – Lily Allen
- Strangers – The Kinks
- The Treehouse Song – Ane Brun
- Ha-Ha – Emiliana Torrini
- Love Will Tear Us Apart Again – Susanna and the Magical Orchestra
- Dance Me to the End of Love – Madeline Peyroux
- Little Person – Jon Brion